Sometimes when I get home from work and am tired and starving I grab the box of Wheat Thins and just go to town!! Taking the time to read the food labels and photograph 100 calories worth of all the snack foods in our pantry was really eye opening to me……..I mean only 11 Wheat Thins! I bet I can and do eat 40 in one sitting!! Ok check out these images of what 100 calories looks like and then I will share some healthy snacking tips.
Healthy Snacking Tips
- Just don’t buy the bad stuff. Avoid purchasing crackers, chips, cookies, etc. All of these processed foods lack any real nutrients and are packed full of calories. If these foods are not in your home, you will not be tempted to eat them. (If I could just get my husband to stop buying all these terrible snacks…)
- If you do have some high calorie snack items that you want to enjoy, prepare yourself single servings. Read the label and count out 100 calories of your snack item and package these servings individually. This way you will not mindlessly eat out of the box/bag. This is a major calorie saving technique.
- If you like cookies, try this little trick; buy or prepare cookie dough and freeze or refrigerate it, when you are craving a cookie, bake ONE cookie. This way you are not left with 11 extra cookies just tempting you to devour them!
- Stock your refrigerator with healthy low calorie snack items such as; cut up veggies and fruit. If this food is easily visible and already prepared you will be more likely to choose these healthy options when you want a snack.
- Lastly, employ the apple test. Ask yourself, “Am I hungry enough to eat an apple?” If the answer is “No”, you are not truly hungry and don’t need a snack. Have a glass of water and continue with your day 🙂 This is really helpful in eliminating boredom snacking.