I cannot believe I have not shared this recipe before as it is one of my go-to dinners and I feel like I cook it at least a few times a month. I think it’s just that it is so easy and quick to throw together that I turn to this recipe when I’m in a hurry and have never taken the time to photograph. Anyway, it is so delicious and I hope you love it as much as we do and it can become one of your weeknight dinner staples.
You need one red bell pepper, one yellow bell pepper and one small yellow onion – all chopped.
I like to buy the hot Italian sausage links from the butcher’s case at Central Market or Whole Foods – you will need 2 to 3 sausage links depending on size. I use a spiralizer to make my zucchini noodles, but most grocery stores sell pre-spiralized zucchinis now. I am OBSESSED with this Rao’s sauce – I honestly think it is just as good as homemade (sorry mom if you are reading this).
I start by sautéing the sausage links for 4 minutes or so on each side and then I slice them and return the sliced sausage to the pan along with the peppers and onions to complete cooking. Once the sausage is completely cooked and the peppers and onions have softened I add about half the jar of sauce and cover and simmer.
Zoodles with Sausage, Peppers and Onions in a Spicy Red Sauce
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2 – 3 Italian sausage links (about ½ pound total)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch x 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch x 1 inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- ½ jar Rao’s Arrabbiata sauce
- Olive oil
- Zucchini noodles
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large high-sided skillet
- Add the sausage links and cook for about 4 minutes on each side
- Remove sausage links and slice into ½ inch thick slices
- Return the sliced sausage to the skillet along with the peppers and onions and continue cooking until the sausage is completely cooked and the peppers and onions have softened
- Add about ½ of the jar of sauce, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Serve over zucchini noodles and garnish with chopped parsley