My friend, Veronica, introduced me to this Paleo pancake recipe years ago and it has been a favorite with my patients and clients ever since. The recipe comes from Robb Wolf’s book, “The Paleo Solution,” which is a fantastic read!
The recipe is so simple, just 3 ingredients, and it is PACKED with protein. Each pancake has almost 10 grams of protein!
These pancakes are great for breakfast (served with berries and just a touch of syrup) or cold as a snack (I love to have one as a post workout snack). Due to all of the protein and healthy fat in them, these pancakes are super filling, I can eat just one in the morning and be completely satisfied until lunch.
- 1 cup almond butter (I find the kind you grind yourself at Central Market or Whole Foods works the best)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- Coconut oil to grease your pan
You can flavor your pancake mix with a little bit of cinnamon or vanilla extract
- Mix the almond butter, applesauce and eggs together (it should look like traditional pancake batter once it is all mixed together)
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a non-stick skillet (just enough to grease the pan)
- Ladle a large spoonful of the pancake mix into the skillet
- Let cook for about 1 – 1.5 minutes and then flip
- Cook for about 1 more minute on the second side
I find these cook the best when I keep the heat relatively low (medium- low on my stovetop)
Makes 10 pancakes